More Dear Diary Blogs
- My Body Isn't Developing Fast Enough!
- It's Demanding to be PERFECT!
- OBSESSED with celebrities!
- Guys, the media?... who's to blame for the way girls behave?
- Trying To Be Better Than BORING
- My Style Vs. My Mom's Style
- How do siblings stop fighting and start getting along?
- Bad Driving
- Feeling Like a LOSER
- What's Wrong With My BFF?
- The Truth about Marijuana
- STOP the Negative Thinking
- Just Tired and Sad? Or is it Depression?
- Figuring Out Your FUTURE!
- Starting your own Diary
- An Awkward Topic
- Sister Squabbles
- Sweating and smelly, what's a girl to do?
- Dealing with Being Teased
- Boys on the Brain!
- Feeling Stuck When Friends Are Changing
- SWEARING: What's the big deal?
- First Kiss, was it a mistake?
- Interview with a Bully
- Death and the Loss of a Loved One
- Interview with a girl who has been bullied
- My parents divorced...and it gets worse!
- Sisters - same genes, just not the same 'jeans'
- Oh No...BFFs like the same guy!
- Sometimes I really DON'T LIKE my Mom!
- I tried smoking. Now how do I say no?
- How Come I'm Not Allowed?
- Are My Friends Really Friends?
April 2009 Blogs
What's Wrong With My BFF?
DEAR DIARY, April 2009, by Megan Ryland
What's Wrong with
I am SOOO frustrated! I'm trying to figure out why my BFF is acting so strange. She likes this guy and all she can talk about is him and she's even starting to hang out with the girls we have always hated. She's acting like she's someone else and when I tell her about it she says I should grow up. Nothing is the same since we started grade 9 and I just want it all back to normal. What should I do?
~ Missing BFF, 14
It sounds like you're starting to wonder if your best friend has been replaced by an imposter! When you're feeling neglected, it's a good time to talk and it was a good idea for you to mention your friend's changes to her, even if you didn't get the response you wanted. Keeping your relationship honest will keep things straight in the long run. Unfortunately, there may be times when your friend gets really excited about something that you just can't exactly share (for example, a special boy). You guys may even find that you're hanging out with different people, but that doesn't mean that you can't still be friends. Maybe you could try to find an activity that you both enjoy that you can make your ‘special thing’ and spend some time reminding each other why you're such great friends.
At the end of the day, the important thing is that you both remember to treat each other with kindness, and if that's not happening, then it may well be time to move on.
Friendships can be a roller coaster when everyone is trying to figure out what "growing up" even means. Sometimes we do grow apart as we get older, but what's cool about friends is that you can depend on more than one. Maybe one of your other friends is also missing middle school and you guys can stick together? Change can be hard, but since you can't go back in time, you now have the chance to meet new people. High school offers a lot of different opportunities to jump into new friendships, so maybe you could join a club, or try out for a team. Try to get in touch with a few people who share the same interests as you, and don't be afraid to get to know someone new! You never know when you'll make a new friend!