More High Fives Blogs
- Volleyball - bump... set... SPIKE!
- Bobsledding - The Extreme Toboggan
- Diving, Take the Plunge!
- Walking - Start Your Own Walking Club
- Fencing, en garde!
- Sports: Curling
- Competitive Swimming
- Rugby...for girls?
July 2009 Blogs
Walking - Start Your Own Walking Club
HIGH FIVES, July 2009, by Karen Demers
For exercise and
catching up with your BFFs
Hey Girls! I know we all love chatting with our BFFs online and of course it’s a great way to stay in touch over the summer months. However, I am here to offer an alternative way to chat with your friends, stay on top of the latest gossip, get some exercise and get outside!
Not too long ago when I was a teen, my friend and I used to meet up for walks to talk. Walking was never the real purpose of our meetings. It gave us a chance to get out of the house and have some quality BFF talk time away from the eyes and ears of our parents. Often, before we knew it, an hour or two had gone by and we had spent the whole time walking, laughing and talking. And it cost us nothing! Read on to learn some cool facts and to find out how to get you and your friends started...
For millions of years humans have enjoyed walking. Until cars were invented, walking was the main mode of transportation. The 'Pedestrian Age' started during the 1860s and walking became the leading sport in Europe and America. The first Walking Championship race was held in England in 1866. Walkers would compete to see who could walk the furthest in the shortest amount of time. In 1906 race walking became an official Olympic sport and continues to be a popular event today.
Remember Jennifer Papaconstantinou's 'Healthy is the New Beautiful' article about Fad Diets with the Top 10 ways to lose weight (in GCDA's last issue April/May 2009)? Well, one of the ways is to walk daily. It's that simple! If not every day, then get out whenever you can. Going for a walk will never do you any harm. Also, it's easier to commit to a regular walking schedule when you have a friend to help get you out and moving.
None! No matter what your fitness level is, your first step is starting.
If possible, be sure to have good runners that are supportive and comfortable. Wear clothes that correspond to the weather and bring some water with you.
'She'-ros of Walking
You are your own 'she'-ro by keeping your body healthy and lending an ear to your friends.
7 Steps To Start Your Own Walking Club
1. Set up a contact list! Talk to your friends and tell them your plan. Walking is a great way to stay in shape, but let's face it girls... more importantly this is a great opportunity to get together and chat!
2. Decide on a name! This is optional. It might be fun to give your group of 2 or more a name. Make it funky and representative of you.
3. Set goals! A great way to stay motivated is to make goals. It could be how often or how far to walk. I invite you to make a group goal and a personal goal. Write them down somewhere and read your goals often.
4. Change it up! Variety is the spice of life! Start from a different location every week or if you like to walk the same path, take a left turn instead of a right and see where your feet take you.
5. Plan for rewards! Don’t be afraid to have treats along the way. Perhaps you walk to an ice-cream place or you have freezes or popsicles along the way. If walking is part of a weight loss or other health plan, have cold water or iced tea instead.
6. Make some money! Like Brian Bogaert suggests in his DOLLAR$ and $EN$E articles about making money, see if you and your friends can offer to walk your neighbour’s dogs along the way!
7. Have fun! No matter what your plan is, walking is a great way to incorporate exercise, socializing and fun all into one!
Get out there, girls, and get walking!