More GIRLFRIENDS blogs
- Cell Phones and Texting
- PMS What is it and do you have it?
- To SHAVE or not to SHAVE
- Down There
- What is a TRUE FRIEND?
- Let's Talk BRAS
- What's Wrong With My BFF?
- Meet Our Sisters from JAPAN!
- Sisters from Poland
- Do you MEASURE UP?
- Getting beyond your fears to make new friends!
- MOODS - Stopping Depression Before it Starts
- DIY: Make your own gift cards
- Family Break-ups
- BFF Today... Dissed Tomorrow!
- Bored? What to do this March Break
- Valentine's Day
- What Did They Say?
- Girl Talk - PERIODS
- Girl Bullying, what's with all the ANGER?
- Girlfriends - What you say is what you are
- Sisters - same genes, just not the same 'jeans'
- Oh No...BFFs like the same guy!
- Body Image - Am I Good Enough?
- Sometimes I really DON'T LIKE my Mom!
- We've been DITCHED...for a guy!
- Are My Friends Really Friends?
January 2008 Blogs
- Real Girl - Isabella
- Global Warming and Our Planet
- What Did They Say?
- BROTHERS: why do some bully?
- Teen Stuff - Ultimate New Yeary's Party
- Zzzzzzzzzz... good night = good morning
- Boys! - Top 10
- Tuareg: The Blue People
- Cathy's Book, by Jordan Weisman and Sean Stewart
- Deciding Your Career
- Goddess of the Month - SOL
What Did They Say?
GIRLFRIENDS, January 2008, by Karla Belfon
Do you know what today’s musicians
are singing about?
Have you ever mumbled the lyrics to one of those chart topping hits, or pressed rewind 10 times over a bunch of words that you just can’t seem to decipher the meaning of? I know I have. There’s nothing worse than bopping your head to the lyrics of a song that you can neither understand nor know if you even agree with!
Or what about those songs whose words are clearly articulated but just don’t make any sense? I personally hate the feeling of buying a CD with some secret message that only the artist knows. Why should I give my hard earned dollars to support and spread a message that I don’t even understand?
Every Song Has a Message
Whether we like it or not, every song has a message. When we purchase music from a particular artist we are saying “yes I support your cause, yes I want to help you spread your message”.
Whether we say it consciously or not, that’s what we are doing. Every album sold is money in the bank for that artist so they can continue to make more music about the topics and content we are all promoting.
So considering all that we are investing in the lives of these celebrities, at some point we’ve got to ask ourselves: “Do I really agree with what they stand for and do I think their cause is one worth supporting?” Now you might say: “Karla you are waaaaay too serious, it’s just music and I listen to it because I like it”. And that may be true, but I still pose this challenge to you: decipher the meaning of the lyrics to some of the songs on circulation in your iPod and think about what you’re listening to.
Why is it Different Because it’s ‘Just Music’?
Every day we get into arguments with people because they say or do things we disagree with or that we don’t think are true. So why is it that when it comes to the music we listen to every day, we just don’t seem to care?
Do you really agree with what the artists are communicating? Would you still be friends with someone who lived the way the artist is suggesting you should? If we’re honest, it’s hard to really answer these questions because half the time we don’t have a clue what they are really talking about, or haven’t taken the time to think about it and care!
See for Yourself
So here’s the challenge: listen a little harder to the songs on your iPod. Write down the questionable words or phrases... the ones that shock you or that you have no idea what they mean. Then post them in the comments below for all of us to try to decipher. You may be surprised what you’ve been bopping to lately... and maybe you’ll change your tune!