More Health Blogs
- HEAD LICE - don't let it get you down
- The Story of Cosmetics
- Allergies - What's behind the watery eyes and runny nose?
- MILK! Is it doing your body good?
- Down There
- Trick or Treat
- What is WRONG with me? I JUST CAN'T SLEEP!
- Body Talk Are You Listening?
- Bubble Bubble, Fizz Fizz
- Splish Splash, time for a bath?
- Yummy Lunch Recipe
- What is 'FAD DIET' and do they really work?
- The Truth about Marijuana
- LUNCH What are YOU eating everyday?
- Just Tired and Sad? Or is it Depression?
- An Awkward Topic
- SMILE ...and show off your pearly whites!
- Health: Keeping your BALANCE
- Sweating and smelly, what's a girl to do?
- Smoking - Making the Big Decision
- Understanding Cancer
- Break it down so you don't BREAK DOWN!
- Zzzzzzzzzz... good night = good morning
- Death and the Loss of a Loved One
- WATER are you getting enough?
- Want to have a toned body? It's not about eating less...
- Not all FATS are created equal!
- I tried smoking. Now how do I say no?
- Carbs Schmarbs... what's the big deal anyway?
- Are You Eating Toxins?
August 2009 Blogs
Body Talk Are You Listening?
HEALTH, August 2009, by Jennifer Papaconstantinou
Are You Listening?
Did you know that your body talks?!? Blah, blah, blah... The question is, are you listening? Do you know what it is trying to tell you? Are you even paying attention?
There exists a branch of medical science called SYMPTOMATOLOGY. Phew! Basically it is the study of SYMPTOMS displayed by the human body. Have you ever had an ache or a pain? How about hunger pangs or thirst? All of these are your body talking to you – trying to tell you it needs something or a system is out of balance.
Most of us have been taught only the bare basics of listening to our bodies. Like... when you are hungry – EAT! And when you are thirsty – DRINK! When you are tired – SLEEP! Get it?
So how about when you have a pain or a headache?
Take aspirin?!? WRONG! I always ask people if they think an ache or pain is a pain killer deficiency. There is no such thing. The body does not require pain killers to function on a daily basis, but most often the common person has not been taught anything about signs & symptoms – SYMPTOMATOLOGY (there’s that word again)!
Each body system, organ, tissue and cell functions perfectly as long as we provide them the necessary tools to do so. That is why we eat – to provide our bodies with the proper raw materials such as: carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, water and trace elements to function optimally on a day-to-day basis. If we do not meet our daily requirements for proper function.....our body will talk. Sometimes even yell and scream!
What may happen if you never learn to listen to your body?
Quite often MANY signs & symptoms will occur or become chronic (always present). This is when a visit to the doctor may be necessary. A doctor is trained to put all these signs & symptoms together and call it a 'name'. Perhaps a certain condition, syndrome or disease is diagnosed. The problem with this common practice of naming occurs when modern medications are used to suppress these conditions – but the underlying or root cause still exists!
Let us take a headache for example. When you have a headache what is the first thing you have been taught to do? Most likely take a pain killer... so now you don’t feel the pain, but the headache and the reason it started are still there. Not exactly a health promoting practice, is it?
What are Behind the Symptoms?
Did you know that there are many different reasons for that headache? Let’s take a look at what some common causes of headaches may be.
Reasons for a headache:
• Allergy/Sensitivity – food, environmental or chemical
• Stress – tension, emotions
• Dental – imbalances in the mouth, jaw or teeth
• Eye strain – reading, poor light, vision impairment
• Organic Headaches – high blood pressure, infection, tumour, disease, swollen vessels, etc.
• Rebound Headaches – discontinued use of addictive substances such as caffeine, nicotine, pharmaceutical or illegal drugs, soda pop, etc. (may be a symptom of substance withdrawal)
• Deficiency – sleep, vitamin, mineral or dehydration is often common
• Excess – too much sun, vitamin A, toxicity, etc.
• Physical - sinus, tension, vascular or trauma
Okay, so now we may use the process of elimination to discover what may be the cause of the headache you have experienced. Alternatively, more Symptomatology and your past history may be used to further investigate the reason for the headache – or whatever else your body wants to talk about.
How can you apply this?
Simple. Now you know your body talks. How to listen may take some reading, research, internet or consulting with a professional trained in listening.
What I would like you to learn is that each symptom is basically an imbalance in the body. There is a good reason why it occurred. Take the time to listen and your body will thank-you with a lifetime of energy and good health! Only whole foods make a whole body. Yes, I know...Blah, blah, blah!