More Health Blogs
- HEAD LICE - don't let it get you down
- The Story of Cosmetics
- Allergies - What's behind the watery eyes and runny nose?
- MILK! Is it doing your body good?
- Down There
- Trick or Treat
- What is WRONG with me? I JUST CAN'T SLEEP!
- Body Talk Are You Listening?
- Bubble Bubble, Fizz Fizz
- Splish Splash, time for a bath?
- Yummy Lunch Recipe
- What is 'FAD DIET' and do they really work?
- The Truth about Marijuana
- LUNCH What are YOU eating everyday?
- Just Tired and Sad? Or is it Depression?
- An Awkward Topic
- SMILE ...and show off your pearly whites!
- Health: Keeping your BALANCE
- Sweating and smelly, what's a girl to do?
- Smoking - Making the Big Decision
- Understanding Cancer
- Break it down so you don't BREAK DOWN!
- Zzzzzzzzzz... good night = good morning
- Death and the Loss of a Loved One
- WATER are you getting enough?
- Want to have a toned body? It's not about eating less...
- Not all FATS are created equal!
- I tried smoking. Now how do I say no?
- Carbs Schmarbs... what's the big deal anyway?
- Are You Eating Toxins?
July 2008 Blogs
- Real Girl: Amelia
- READER OPINIONS: Why do guys/girls fight the way they do?
- What colours mean - Gold
- Smoking - Making the Big Decision
- The Classics
- Day 26, R&B/Urban
- Boys on the Brain!
- MOODS - Stopping Depression Before it Starts
- Is losing weight the answer?
- Give Yourself Credit
- Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer
- What Makes You Beautiful? July 2008
Smoking - Making the Big Decision
HEALTH, July 2008, by Dr. Jay
No, it’s not a typo, we are going to talk about your decision about smoking not just preach that you SHOULDN'T do it. Why? Because as a teen or pre-teen, you’re going to eventually be introduced to it or offered the opportunity to try it - if you haven’t already. And YOU will be the one to make the big decision.
We all know that smoking is not good for us. With all the anti-smoking warnings out there telling how and why it’s unhealthy, I’m not going to lecture you on all of that.
If smoking is so bad, why do people still do it? Oh, and this may be the only column where I don’t say that ‘Balance is key’... no amount of smoking is good for you. People usually start smoking for 1 of 3 reasons:
1. to fit in - the people they hang out with smoke and they believe they’ll be more accepted if they do too (peer pressure);
2. it’s in the family - someone they look up to like parents or older siblings smoke and it seems just normal for them;
3. rebellion - they want to rebel against someone like parents or teachers who are telling you what to do or not do.
Whatever the reason, remember that the ‘coolest’ thing you can do in life is to be your own person. As soon as you start to do things to impress others or because someone tells you to, you have totally given up your ‘coolness’. How cool is lung cancer?
Like I said before, we all know a number of reasons why smoking is bad. Imagine getting a cup from the kitchen and pouring in a bit of this and a bit of that from all the bottles under the sink with a skull symbol on them. Now have a sip standing in the coolest pose you can muster up. Although those aren’t the exact same chemicals found in cigarettes, it’s been said that over 4000 chemical compounds are created in the burning of a cigarette, most of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic (meaning can be directly linked to the promotion of cancer). Cigarettes are full of very harmful toxic chemicals. When you breathe in the smoke (either directly or from second-hand-smoke) you are putting those poisons into your body.
Even though most of us are very familiar with the many activities, foods and programs we can do to keep ourselves healthy, some people still choose to smoke. Why???
One of the main substances in cigarettes is nicotine. Nicotine has been shown to be highly addictive for many people. An addiction is when your body starts craving something you start putting into it. Some people feel like they literally can’t live without their cigarettes. That’s why you hear so many people saying that it’s best to just never start smoking in the first place… “once you start is it VERY hard to stop.” Even if you want to (and many smokers do), they just can’t. Their body longs for nicotine and they become irritable, upset and unable to function normally without it. They quit and start and quit and start again. Ever wonder why there are so many products and programs to help people quit? Even some ex-smokers say that they crave cigarettes for the rest of their lives! Why on earth would you want to start something negative that has that much control over your life!?
There will always be people who believe it’s their right to smoke and will continue to, even if it means they are harming themselves and others around them. It’s up to you to make decisions that work best for you. That includes keeping your distance to avoid second hand smoke... ew!
One last thing
Cigarettes are expensive! I’m sure you can find MANY other things to spend your money on that would be a lot more healthy and valuable for you.
Check out this website for more info: Protect Your Lungs