More Locks and Lashes Blogs
- The Story of Cosmetics
- Protecting Your Hair and Skin In the Sun
- Straightening with a blow dryer, cleaning brushes, truth about top and base coat
- Powder Pads - do you need to change them?
- Being a Hair Stylist
- Locks and Lashes Fan Mail - Being Successful and SHORT!
- Applying Blush, Coloured Hair Streaks
- False Eyelashes, Bangs or No Bangs
- Hair Bleach | Pimple Cover Up
- Stray Hairs, Waterproof Mascara and Perfume
- Stage Makeup Eye Makeup Winter Hat Head
- Sharing makeup, does makeup cause acne? and hair static
- Eyebrows, Nose Piercings, Hair Dying
- Locks and Lashes: will my hair turn green, makeup and sensitive skin, sunscreen and moisturizer, stage makeup tips
- Hand and Nail Tips
- Natural vs. Festive Makeup
- Beauty Tips - Ask the Experts
- Summer Makeup for Day and Night
- Beauty Tips and Tricks
- Hair Dye Tragedy
April 2010 Blogs
BOOK CLUB SELECTION:
AWESOME 4 Book Fantasy Series by Megan Whalen Turner
The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Atollia, and A Conspiracy of Kings.
MUSIC CLUB PICKS:
Straightening with a blow dryer, cleaning brushes, truth about top and base coat
LOCKS AND LASHES, April 2010, by Melissa Villa, Angela Gina Pirrera and Julia Hofer
LOCKS & LASHES
Straightening your hair with a blow dryer
5 steps on cleaning your brushes the RIGHT way
The TRUTH about nail polish base and top coat
How do I straighten my hair properly with a blow dryer? I don't have a straightener and when I use the blow dryer it shuts the power off in the bathroom and my hair sort of smokes a bit.
~ Doing something wrong, Missouri USA
Dear Something Wrong,
Wow, that does sound like a bit of a problem. I am not too sure about the power shutting off. You can check the wattage of your blow dryer and make sure it is not too much for your bathroom outlet.
As far as your hair goes, the best way to straighten your hair is with a round brush and your blow drier.
1. Divide your hair into two sections. One section is from your temples up all around to the back.
2. Clip the top section up out of the way so you can start with the bottom.
3. Sub-divide the bottom section into smaller sections as you go along that are the same size as your brush. Starting at the roots and working down to the ends, hold the blow dryer in one hand and your brush in the other and slowly dry each section straight.
4. When you are done with the bottom section, un-clip the top section and repeat. It may take a little practice but you will have it down in no time!
Is there a "special way" to use your brushes when you put on makeup? Mine get all matted like a hairball. My mom says to be gentle but I can't get any colour if I don't rub it in.
~ Hairball brushes, Edmonton, AB
Dear Hairball Brushes,
Great question! Investing in a quality set of brushes and caring for them will solve your hairball problems instantly.
5 Steps for Proper Brush Care
1. One by one, dip the hair tip of the brush in a large clean container or bathroom sink filled with warm water. Swish the brush around for 10 seconds allowing the hair to soak while the make up begins to lift from the brush.
2. Use a small amount of baby shampoo in the palm of your hand and gently swirl the brush around until you no longer see make up residue.
3. Continue rinsing with warm water until clean and then gently squeeze the excess water from the brush.
4. Lay the brush on a clean towel, placing the hair tip of the brush over an edge of the counter top. This allows for air to circulate around the entire brush and helps to keep the natural sharp of the brush intact.
5. When dry, gently ruffle the brush and it is ready to use. Depending on the size of the brush it may take 1 to 3 hours before your brushes are completely dry. I recommend repeating these steps once a week to ensure your brushes a long and happy life!!
If you are having trouble applying coloured shadows onto your eyes TRY THIS: apply an thin layer of translucent (loose or pressed) powder onto your eyelid before applying coloured shadow... the powder will act as a base for the coloured shadow to sit on and will help to keep it on all day!
Makeup should be fun and easy to apply. Try different products and brushes until you find what best suits you and REMEMBER: a clean brush is a happy brush!
Is base coat and top coat just a scam to make you buy more stuff or is there for real a reason to use them instead of just nail polish?
~ Curious, 14, Windsor ON
No, base coats and top coats are not just a scam. In fact a base coat will actually help prevent the yellowish discoloration you often see occur on nails. It also works as a primer to ensure the longevity of your nail polish.
Now for the icing on top of the cake! Top coat, in fact, is one of my favorite products. Not only will it add high shine and amplify the color of your nail polish, but it will also even out and smooth any imperfections in the nail polish.
Here is a tip: Remember when shopping for your base coat and top coat that you will always receive the best result when using the same brand of product.
See Back Issues
Locks and Lashes, Angela Gina Pirrera, Julia Hofer, hair and makeup, Melissa Villa, beauty, how to straighten your hair with a blow dryer, makeup brushes getting matted, hairball brushes, 5 steps for proper makeup brush care, having trouble applying eye shadow, is top coat and base coat a scam?, the truth about base and top coat nail polish, best results when you buy the same brand