More Health Blogs
- HEAD LICE - don't let it get you down
- The Story of Cosmetics
- Allergies - What's behind the watery eyes and runny nose?
- MILK! Is it doing your body good?
- Down There
- Trick or Treat
- What is WRONG with me? I JUST CAN'T SLEEP!
- Body Talk Are You Listening?
- Bubble Bubble, Fizz Fizz
- Splish Splash, time for a bath?
- Yummy Lunch Recipe
- What is 'FAD DIET' and do they really work?
- The Truth about Marijuana
- LUNCH What are YOU eating everyday?
- Just Tired and Sad? Or is it Depression?
- An Awkward Topic
- SMILE ...and show off your pearly whites!
- Health: Keeping your BALANCE
- Sweating and smelly, what's a girl to do?
- Smoking - Making the Big Decision
- Understanding Cancer
- Break it down so you don't BREAK DOWN!
- Zzzzzzzzzz... good night = good morning
- Death and the Loss of a Loved One
- WATER are you getting enough?
- Want to have a toned body? It's not about eating less...
- Not all FATS are created equal!
- I tried smoking. Now how do I say no?
- Carbs Schmarbs... what's the big deal anyway?
- Are You Eating Toxins?
April 2009 Blogs
What is 'FAD DIET' and do they really work?
HEALTH, April 2009, by Jennifer Papaconstantinou
What is a 'FAD DIET'
and do they really work?
Definition: FAD - n. a fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze; temporary and new. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fad
There are many kinds of wild and crazy diets that I’m sure you or your friends have tried or heard of at one time or another. Each one has its own methodology and rules. But how come they only work short-term? What are the pros and cons in trying them? How can you stay slim and trim?
I will tell you! But first, let’s discuss these “Fad Diets” and their impact on your body and health.
Here’s how you can spot a “fad” diet... Ask yourself, does it:
• Promise to bring instant success?
• Offer a quick fix?
• Seem silly or dangerous?
• Sound “too good to be true”?
• Appear unbalanced – maybe eliminating an entire food group or allow only one food?
The truth is, there is no such thing as a “quick fix” when it comes to weight loss OR health. There really isn’t a magic pill that will do all the work for you, sorry. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle takes work, knowledge and discipline and is the safest way to care for your body.
Why Diets Don't Last
Diets only work short term because there is a beginning and an end. Once the “diet” is finished most people return to eating the same way as before the diet started! WRONG!
• Lose weight
• Look thin
• Fit into the best jeans ever!
• Causes imbalances and deficiencies
• Most likely to gain weight back + more
• Deplete or avoid important nutrients
• Not sustainable (3-7 days are usually the max for crash diets)
This term refers to losing and gaining weight repeatedly (up and down like a yo-yo!). That means you are thin and then not so thin and then thin again... This practice can wreak havoc on your internal environment! It may be responsible for irregular heartbeat, gall stones, poor blood sugar levels, dizziness and electrolyte imbalances (they regulate water, blood pH, and are vital for nerve and muscle function). Also, it confuses your thyroid gland. Your thyroid gland is your body’s MASTER GLAND which controls metabolism and weight, among other important processes. The last thing you want to do is mess that up!
How to Maintain Your Weight
Did you know that skipping meals actually causes you to GAIN weight? Think about it… skipping meals signals your body to enter “starvation mode”. When that happens, the next meal you eat will be stored as fat, since your body believes it is starving and is afraid that food is scarce. If you want to increase your metabolism and keep your body functioning and energized, EAT! Of course, it is what you eat that counts.
Here are my recommendations.
TOP 10 WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT
1. Drink water – the amount should be your body weight divided by 2, in ounces per day
• you can lose substantial weight using this method alone
• approximately 2 ½ litres per day
• black tea, coffee, flavoured/sugared water, etc. don’t count as water
2. Exercise – walk ½ to 1 hour daily
3. Don’t miss your ‘Essential Fatty Acids’ (EFA’s) Healthy sources: nuts, seeds, flax, fish or supplements Myth: Eating fat makes you fat – NO!
4. Avoid eating after 7 p.m.
• Especially carbohydrates
5. Fruits and Vegies – Consume 3 fruits and 7 vegetables daily
6. No Pop or carbonated beverages, ever!
7. No Artificial Sweeteners
• Splenda, MSG, Aspartame, etc.
8. Avoid Protein/Power Bars & Refined Carbohydrates
9. Eat Natural, Wholesome Foods
• The closer they are to how they were grown and gathered from the earth, the better they are for you.
10. AVOID 5 NEW FOOD GROUPS: • this is key •
Balance is key! Eat for health, growth, energy, and maintenance. Enjoy having a sinful treat once in a while and save your splurging for special occasions. Yum!